Lyceum #4
As recommended by the Fulbright Organization, I contacted a school to arrange to give lessons/speeches for higher level English classes. When I went there to set things up, the teachers seemed half enthusiastic; it's nice to have a native speaker but it would be better if I were British, or Australian. They gave me some vague instructions about coming anytime during a six hour period on Tuesdays and that I could talk about anything I want.
When I came to Russia, I prepared a couple one-shot lessons for situations like this. Unfortunately, they're about history or baseball and students just aren't interested. Basically, the audience breaks off into two groups: the students, who want to know what Americans think of Russia (Do they, you know, like Russia? or do they "like" like Russia?) and the teachers, who want to know about "American Values." Today, they had a lesson on addiction and after I talked about 12-step programs, the teacher started to grill me. My favorite question was when she asked if American values included conquering the world. My second favorite was if I had tried drugs and, if so, did I hear colors. My answers, all lies: no, no and no.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment