Ryazan State University Pirates
I started practicing with the university's basketball team last week and much to my surprise, comported myself pretty well on the court. The players are a year or two younger than me all about my height, with the exception of Sanya, the center. Half the players are named Sergei and the other half are named Aleksander. It’s made life a little easier. The practices are kind of informal; we start with running, a couple jumping/shooting/defense exercises and then a scrimmage. In the games I play a Reggie Evans-esque role: lots of boards, a couple points, a couple fouls. No Goosing.
Everyone’s been really helpful explaining the exercises if I don’t understand but in general it’s not too hard because basketball is a lot of nouns and not much grammar. I asked the coach if the team has a mascot or a nickname and apparently they don’t; however, after the second practice I went back to the locker room to find that my watch and socks (!) were gone. I’m more perplexed than mad because someone went through my gym bag where I had left my wallet, passport, etc, and decided that, in addition to a watch, men’s hosiery would make the plunder complete. I’m not going to let it discourage me (although I will leave my stuff in the office) but I have decided to give the Ryazan University team a nickname.
PS. I know it was a Sergei.
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment