Monday, April 16, 2007

Various Notes

1. The first purpose of my posting, reporting on Ryazan basketball, is over. Ryazan State U had a pretty rocky year, finishing with a losing record, but they turned up the intensity and made it to the finals, beating the Military Academy's team by over a hundred points. Then they lost big to the Medical Institute in the final. I should note here that the only foreigners from non-Soviet countries (primarily from India and Africa) study medicine in Ryazan and the team was primarily made up of international students. Makes me wonder if MedInstitute enjoys an advantage from athletic superiority or from not drinking and smoking in the locker room. A little of both I imagine.

2. The Juice was set loose briefly in Moscow when Iowa City's Orion came to visit last week. Unfortunately between travel complications and the recent addition of 7 classes to my weekly schedule I only saw him for 2/4 days. Despite time restrictions, the tour of Seth's Moscow was reasonably comprehensive, finishing on Saturday with a lesson on swearing in Russian at the horse track.

3. In response to some comments. I also remember the Brad Eric cooing myagkii, and I still have nightmares about him shouting "TVYORDII!" and then crushing the cat he had so recently been stroking. Leslie, if you say "Million" like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies, it comes out about right. KK, please address me as Seth Jamesovich.

No comments: