Sunday, April 08, 2007

Formalities

The Kulturologia department at the university asked me to participate in a round table discussion of academic standards. My job was to give the American point of view on cheating, in particular plagiarism. I had a lot of awesome things to say about plagiarism, because I have battled with it all year in my classes. My presentation shocked the crowd, as plagiarism in Russia is rampant and acceptable; according to one of the speakers 80% of students plagiarize and you can buy "10000 Term Papers!" disks at any bookstore. A couple choice quotes from the round table:

"I remember one test where I stuffed a text book, not that big, down the back of my pants in the hopes that my teacher would leave the classroom during the exam."--Head of the Department

"In America, is there a prize such as 'Most Honest Student'?"--5th Year Student

A few days later one of the girls in the 1st year who organized the round table came by the staff office where I spend most of my days to give me pictures they had taken. She came in and loudly said [in Russian], "Hi, Seth! How are thou? Here are some pictures of thou with us!" Heads turned and coffee mugs fell to the floor. I had actually noticed before that she addressed me informally and had thought it a little strange, but not strange enough to say anything. When she left Valeria Aleksandrovna, the office secretary in charge of watering plants, told me, "Seth, you are a teacher and she is a student. You deserve more respect than that."

Anyway, here are some of the pictures:


Me making a mean face in preparation to blow Russian students' minds


Teachers raise their hands in response to the question, "Who hates their students?"


Me and Miss Informality. Maybe this picture gave her the wrong impression...

2 comments:

Oliveslav said...

Prof. Berstein, I have to admit that the student/teacher respect issue is one I still struggle with. I made the unfortunate mistake of referring to the esteemed chair of our department, Professor Kovacs, as "Maria" in our thesis workshop causing my colleagues to gasp in unison and the door to slam shut due the sudden change in barometric pressure (for dramatic effect). Apparently it was wrong to degrade her in front of the entire department and our esteemed visiting professor, or at least thats what I was told I did.

jocelyn said...

You need to develop a more commanding presence, perhaps.

And, Seth... I'm NOT your friend.

I actually just said that because that is something you would say to me. I'm going to add you to my blog someday when I'm feeling motivated. By then the blog will almost be over, as I am leaving for the States on June 4th.