Emblems
Here's the last (and my favorite) article of the Soviet Constitution of 1924:
Article 11:
On the emblem, flag and capital of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
70. The governmental emblem of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics consists of a sickle and hammer on the sphere of the earth, lit by the rays of the sun and framed with wheat stalks, with the inscription in 6 languages named in statute 34: "Workers of the world, unite!" On top of the emblem is a five pointed star.
71. The governmental flag of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics consists of red or scarlet cloth, with the image on the top corner near the flagpole of the gold sickle and hammer and under it a red, five-pointed star, framed with gold edging. The ratio of width to height is 1:2.
My question: will I be purged for accidentally dyeing my flag crimson?
Addendum: If you don't think this is funny yet, think about this. I was in the Ryazan Party Archive last year, doing what I usually did--looking through documents in a somewhat random fashion and finding funny shit--when I found the minutes to a conference in 1918 about propaganda for peasants. An important issue, but not pressing for the delegates. Their debate in the first two pages (representing a day) focused on the food and time for lunch during the week-long conference. The latter issue was settled in a 10-5 vote for 2:00pm rather than 4:00pm. When I related this to the university office secretary she laughed at first, but then I told her that the vote meant a difference of two hours and she said, "Oh, well that's a different matter."
Sunday, December 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment